This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Friday, January 6, 2012

2012- A clean slate for you to fill...

I received a very interesting Christmas gift this year from my in-laws "The Complete Runner's Day-By-Day Log 2012 Calendar."  The calendar holds you accountable for your workouts everyday and encourages you to push your mileage and speed weekly and overtime, which is just what I need for 2012.  

As you all probably know, I am a fairly avid runner, but I've noticed a pattern in my running habits.  When I am not training for something specific, running is something I do, not something I train to do.  Now for most of you, there probably isn't much of a distinction between doing something and training to do something.  However, if you've ever accomplished something that was very challenging, you probably get my gist.  Whenever you have a goal that you are working toward, it just doesn't happen overnight.  There's commitment, perseverance and sacrifice, which makes the end result all the much sweeter.  

For the past year, I've been running and it's been great.  I have accomplished a few small goals, like bringing my mile time down substantially thanks to my amazing running partner Jodi and getting a PR in the Hohokus 5K, but I haven't really been closely monitoring my running.  I haven't looked at my training objectively and thought of ways to push myself further.  

When I opened this present and took a look at it, I read the first line, which says, "You will wake one bitter January morning as more or less the same runner you were in late December.  So why does the dawn of a new year present a useful time to reassess your goals?"

This writer knew what he was saying.  The thing I love most about the new year is having a clean slate to fill and the power of being in the driver seat to do it. A wise friend Kimberly and her mom B always said, "We can't control the way the wind blows, but we can control our sails."  In life, we chose the way we navigate.

So, what does 2012 have in store for me?  I'm sure many great things.  I've started by using my calendar to record my mileage monitor my speed.  I've made a personal commitment to push myself a little further each week, which is not only for good for me physically, but also mentally.  I will also be more intentional this year in sharing my training tips, secrets and mishaps along the way with all of you.  As the new year comes, I invite all of you to set your intentions and to be true to yourself in accomplishing your goals.  What will 2012 have in store for you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment