This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Life according to the Muppets...

I had the opportunity of sharing in one of my favorite childhood past-times this weekend several years later- The Muppets.  Like many others, in my turkey induced coma after our Thanksgiving feast, we hit the theater to see my furry little idols come to life.  My husband, who wasn't really a fan growing up, asked me for several days prior what makes the Muppet franchise so special?  My answer of, "They just are," somehow didn't seem to appease him.

So in honor of Joe who always causes me to think a little harder about what I say, I have spent some time reflecting on why the Muppets are so special in the lives of many of us. I think it has a lot to to with the way they choose to live.  So living vicariously through the Muppets, here's a preliminary list (as the full list would be way too long to post) of some Muppet mottos which make the Muppets way cooler than most humans:

1.  They stick together- Like any good family, the Muppets find a way to come together and unconditionally care for each other no matter what the situation.
2.  They know how to laugh- Through every wrong turn, they know how to laugh about the situation and they can always take a minute to pause for a good laugh.
3.  They travel with a Swedish chef- They will never go hungry and it seems they are always eating gourmet. Need I say more?
4.  They are always up for an adventure-  They are presented with constant challenges which they accept with grace and humility.  They never pull the 'woe-is-me' card and they always give every challenge their best efforts, as outlandish as it seems.
5.  They are not afraid to be themselves- The Muppets are comfortable enough in their own skin, or should I say fur, that they randomly break into musical song and dance numbers describing who they are or who they wish they were.  They aren't concerned of how others might react to the ways that they are feeling.
6.  They know how to live it up- The Muppets travel all around the world, they dine at the best restaurants, attend the most exclusive parties and even make cameo appearances in the most unexpected places.

During the movie, Jason Segal breaks into song singing the "Am I a Man or Am I a Muppet?" ballot and I couldn't help but identify.  For years, I've wondered the same thing.  I find that there are a lot of striking similarities between me and my puppet friends sans the lavish lifestyle.  My husband has also described me as Muppet-like to others, which probably most spouses might take offense to, but it makes me incredibly happy. If I have learned any lessons from the Muppets, it's that they have a lot more figured out than we humans do.  So my challenge to all of you is to start this week off being less like a man and more like a Muppet ;p.

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to link this to my own My Little Obsessions blog as it would fit so perfectly as you have described your own "little obsession" so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Maria-Where are your social sharing buttons and Google+1?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and go to FAO schwartz and make yourself a muppet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anonymous!!! I would love to make myself a muppet. I actually considered doing it for my 30th birthday. As far as my social sharing buttons and google +, I need help to do this!! I'm a little in the dark ages when it comes to technology. If you could spend a couple of minutes catching me up to speed, either comment back or if you know how to reach out to me via phone or e-mail, that would be awesome. Thanks for your comments!!!

    ReplyDelete