This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Friday, March 4, 2011

Unexpected Outcomes...

Last night was my first big charity event since I got on the bus last year.  I helped organize an intimate dinner at St. Paul's Church in Paterson NJ to benefit their Afterschool and CityServe programs.  Both programs serve the youth in Paterson, NJ, which at the turn of the century was a booming area for silk manufacturing that today houses high rates of violence, drugs and poverty.  These two programs aim to defy these risk factors for the kids that are involved.  Each year 33 elementary students participate in the Afterschool Program every day from 3:30- 6:00 pm and 50 teens participate in an all-day summer CityServe program, whose focus is community service.  The results are simple.  With the help of mentors, staff and Americorp members, students literacy, math and writing scores go up on average one-two grade levels.  They also add community service to their resumes by participating in service projects like helping seniors, volunteering at a food bank or a daycare and creating artwork to beautify their community.

The dinner's main focus was to invite new and existing donors alike to learn about the programs and to hear from the children the direct impact of what the programs have done.  Not only were we successful in doing this, I also heard an interesting story that I wanted to share with all of you.

One of the pieces that we orchestrated last night was a "Oprah-style" talk show, where yours truly was Oprah (Big surprise, I know).  I got a chance to interview one girl from the CityServe program last night about her involvement in the program.  It was a great interview all around and she was incredibly candid with her answers.  The amazing piece is (partially because of the chaos surrounding an event and partially because I forgot to ask) until she got up and spoke into the microphone, I really didn't have any idea what she was going to say.  After she sat down, I breathed a sigh of relief as my responsibilities for the evening were coming to a close and I focused my efforts on more pressing things, like packaging up the extra lasagna.

As the night ended, I inhaled a cookie and sat down and reflected on what how I thought the night went.  I thought about our guests, the food, and the agenda, but I didn't really think about the impact of the event on the kids.  Now, in my defense, I wasn't trying to be heartless, I just was thinking that this event was planned for the donors and it didn't even fall into my scope that the program participants may have felt impacted.

As I woke up this morning, I got a call from my boss.  In her commendation to me, she told me the story of the girl I referred to above.  She said that at the end of the night, she had a long conversation with the Director of the CityServe Program about what the night had meant to her.  She said that she felt so honored to be featured as a speaker.  She was even more excited that she was able to share the knowledge and the wisdom she gained by being a part of the program.  She said that "this was one of the most important things she has ever done in her life."

To say the least, I was taken aback.  This event that was supposed to be a way for the kids and the agency to thank the donors, also had a secondary side effect of uplifting and empowering the participants!  What luck!  I give myself no credit in this.  However, I have learned this lesson..Never underestimate the power of giving someone a voice, especially those out there that typically don't have one.

Thanks to everyone who came out and supported me and the program last night either physically, mentally, spiritually or all three together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment