This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm in a new decade...

Well, it's finally here.  The age I've been dreading for a very long time.  I've crossed into unknown land of now becoming a 30-something.  I have to admit, I'm not liking the ring to it all that much.  One of the biggest changes I have felt is I've lost my scapegoat.  Let me explain...

I feel that 20-somethings have a pass to try new things, mess up and most of all not be definitive on their life path and where it is all going.  I know in my offices (both past and present) many of my colleagues would say, "You're 20-something, you've got time and you're not expected to know how to solve the world's problems."  However, you never hear that for 30-somethings.  For me, being a 30-something implies that you've got it all figured out, which clearly I don't.

One of the other problems I'm having with this birthday is the power of visualization.  In the spirit of still wanting to have my 20-something scapegoat, I will blame this on all the self help books that I've read that say, "Picture what your life will look like when you are (fill in the blank)."  Now, although I am a creative person and take creative liberties in almost everything I do, my visualization looks nothing like the actualization.

I wonder if I am the only one out here that feels this way?

However, on the flip side, I did have the most wonderful birthday ever.  I wish every day could be my birthday without getting any older of course!!  I loved hearing from some many of my friends and family who I don't get a chance to connect with everyday.  I also want to give a big shout out to my in-laws and my husband for such a wonderful celebration.  I truly did feel loved and it gave 30 a much gentler landing!  Thanks again.  Love to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. OH Maria. Life is what happens while you're visualizing! I just hit the big 50 and I have to say that, to me, it's the most like what I remember hitting 30 was like. Things still are not how I envisioned them, I still don't feel like I have ANYTHING figured out, and I still worry tht I'm never going to grow up. But I think what I'm beginning to understand is that it's NEVER the destination that's important. It's always the journey, and the goals are always in a constant state of flux. Those of us of the "CONTROL" clan want clear, black and white culminations and conclusions, etc. But that's apparently not the way life works. Life almost always moves like gentle water, which can shape even the biggest rock if given time. So enjoy your journey! You are blessed and very special :-)
    XO - Missy Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Missy!! Hope everything is going well in Cali. I sure miss you guys and GOTB!!

    ReplyDelete