This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

GOTB through the eyes of a child...

About a month ago, I received a personalized note from Tayla, a 10 year old girl from Northern California. She had cut a heart out of construction paper and colored it and inside tucked a $10.00 donation for the children of Get On The Bus. I was so moved by her gesture that I decided to contact her to learn a little bit more about what attracted her to Get On The Bus. Here is what she had to say:

Maria: How did you learn about Get On The Bus?

Tayla: My grandma told me that she was helping for it.

Maria: What do you know about the program?

Tayla: It is a program that brings kids to see their parents.

Maria: What made you realize that Get On The Bus was an important program?

Tayla: One time, my dad had to work really late and I missed him a lot. I thought about what it would be like to not see him and I got really sad.

Maria: Why is Get On The Bus necessary?

Tayla: Most kids can see their parents every day. It's only fair that everyone has a chance to get to spend time with their mom or dad. I am most happy when I am with my family.

Maria: Why should people give money to Get On The Bus?

Tayla: If people don't give enough money, then the kids won't get to see their parents until the next year. That would be very sad.

Maria: What will Get On The Bus do for the children?

Tayla: When kids get to see their parents, it is going to make them really happy. It is like if your parents went on a long vacation and then came back. You would be very excited to see them.

Maria: How did you raise the money?

Tayla: I always have a little bit of money with me. It was mostly from my allowance though.

Tayla's grandma told me that every year each member of the family chooses a charity to give money to for Hanukkah. Tayla had many options but she chose Get On The Bus. I think she highlights our program through the eyes of our clients: the children. Tayla has a point every child deserves to spend time with their parent.

My dad always says, "In the end, each of us will be judged by our standard of life, not our standard of living; by our measure of giving, not by our measure of wealth; by our simple goodness, not by our seeming greatness." Many people are lucky to learn this by the end of their life. It seems that at age 10 Tayla has grasped it. I would like to thank her for her donation. I would also like to thank one of our fellow bus coordinators, also a Pittsburgher, Jeffery Brick for his donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment