This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bruce Jenner is my biggest fan!!!



I hope that all of you have been enjoying the Olympics in Vancouver.  I have enjoyed so much watching the different athletes compete that I decided to adopt an oldie, but goodie for myself.  So in addition to having Sly Stallone as my trainer and Bob Barker as my liability, I now have a number one fan...Olympic Gold Medalist Bruce Jenner.  

Some of my more mature readers may recall the 1976 Olympics, where Bruce took the gold and set a world record in the Olympic Decathlon. He then went on to be inducted into the Olympic Hall of Fame in 1986. My younger readers probably know Bruce as Kim Kardashian's step father from the show Keeping Up With The Kardashians.  Now, the two generations can come together and you can know Bruce as my number one fan!

Now, I'm not going to lie, having an Olympian as part of my fan base has really ramped up my game and given me some true running cred.  At one time, there was no better runner out there than Bruce and now at this time, I have no bigger fan than Bruce.  Coincidence? I think not.

In the same, it also puts a little pressure on me.  In the time that I run one marathon, Bruce could probably run four.  However, he is now a motivational speaker who asks people to achieve their own personal best, which is all I can ever do.  So far, I've logged over 200 miles and I still have a month to go!  Whao!!

In addition to thanking Bruce for joining the Maria fan club, I have a couple of more thank yous as well.  First, to the two women who answered my call to donate this weekend: Kimberly and Karen.  As promised, Joe and I will match your donations.  Kimberly, I met you as my roommate, but you continue be a great friend.  Karen, you are the best employee and friend a girl could ask for and thanks so much for recruiting Bruce onto my team.  It means so much to me.  Lastly, to my sister and fellow marathon runner Kelly...  Your support in life and through the marathon process continues to fuel me.  I couldn't ask for a better sister or a better friend. :)

4 comments:

  1. Maria I want to see the little bus move ahead!! vrooooom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, you are one awesome gal! I can't believe the 20 miles story! My husband has the same disability, but no story to match yours! Marty

    ReplyDelete