This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Out with the old, in with the new

The new year is a time of celebration.  Most go drink their sorrows away or spend it with friends and family.  This year's new year's celebration for me was much like most of 2009: tiring, nothing special to note and a bit depressing.  I spent most of my day (20 hours) on a plane or in an airport.  When we finally landed at 11:45 pm and got our bags, we were just in time to celebrate new year's in the back of a smelly LA cab. 

Like most people I know, I was happy to see 2009 go away.  I am not going to lie, this has been a tough year.  Not only for me and my family, but it seems that everyone around me has had a personal story of hardship in the year 2009.  In the last couple of days, I couldn't help but notice how many people have posted something on facebook wishing that 2009 go far away and never come back.

So enough negativity, you are reading this to be inspired right?  That's what I thought.  It is time to move on and time to make positive change.  That is why my running partner Leanne and I today got a "head start" on making 2010 a great year...We ran 10 miles for 2010.  The combination of my jet lag and Leanne's sore muscles from lifting yesterday made us quite a dynamic duo today.  However, we pushed through our pain and we made it. 

After a great suggestion from my friend David Rigo, I have decided to include some photos to document my journey.  Hope you enjoy and a happy and healthy 2010 to everyone!!  I also want to thank Nabil Riaz or Nabilini Riazi as he is known in the blog for his donation and support!! 


Me at the start line in the Santa Monica Pier



Leanne and I getting ready for our run


Start of our course, view to the north.


First mile, down Santa Monica Pier.


I never leave home without my G2.


Leanne and I hard at work.

Along the course.

Everyone was training for the marathon!


Action shot!

Halfway at Temascal Canyon Blvd.

The pier is in sight, yeah!!

1 mile left...We thought this street sign would never come!

10 miles for 2010 baby!

Every run ends with a good stretching session.

2 comments:

  1. Sandra Palestine BurleyJanuary 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM

    AWESOME post Maria. You are totally inspiring. I really hope 2010 is 2010 more times better for you than 2009. It will be. I love how even when things suck a bit, you always go back to being optimistic and making sure that things get better. You are such a role model for how to live a happy life, and you do such good in the world. I'm really proud to be your friend. In 2010 I have a resolution that we will be even more in each other's lives, helped by the fact that I will no longer live on the other side of the planet. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too Ciao! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete