This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bob Barker hurt my toe...



For those of you who know me well, you know that some things that happen to me fall under the "Only Maria" category. In the past, I have fallen off my high heel shoes, accidentally forgot to put my car into park so it wrecked into a Bruegger's Bagel Shop, had been "feathered" by a random person at Venice Beach and a myriad of other random things. Why do these things happen to me? I don't know exactly. Sometimes I believe that God uses me as a comedy prop for all of you. However, today was one of those days.


As you all know, Saturday is my big training day, where I have 100 people coming in from all over to learn what it takes to be a bus coordinator for GOTB. I am in charge of organizing every aspect of this event. To say the least, sleep is something that I haven't seen much of for the past two weeks. I am constantly waking up in the middle of the night hopping on my computer to send myself reminders about what I need to do the next morning. In this sleepless fog, my training has also been suffering a bit. Since I am working constantly, it is hard for me to slip away to hit the pavement. However, today I made a pact with myself that no matter what I would go.

I woke up this morning all ready for my run and did one of my normal routes. It was sunny and nice outside, people were out walking their dogs, and I was minding my business until out of the corner of my eye I saw Bob Barker and his dog walking toward me. Now, this was not the first time that Bob and I have crossed paths. You see another "Only Maria" type of occurrence is that I don't happen to see lots of celebrities, but when I do, I always see them again. Some people in LA have matching dogs, I see the same celebrity twice. If you don't believe me, read my blog entry about Sly Stallone. Other notable people to add to this list include Tom Greene, Dr. Drew, and Eddie Steeples.

My last occurrence with Bob Barker and his dog was right around the same spot and I yelled, "Have your pet spayed or neutered." His response was to smile at me, but deep down inside he probably thought I was a little wacky. I was sure this time was going to be different. This time I was determined to have a conversation with him. So as I ran toward him trying to fix my hair so I would look okay (as his measure of beauty is the chicks on the Price Is Right), he did something that I wasn't expecting: He talked to me first. With a big smile, he looked me straight in the eye and said, "Good Morning." I responded back with a "Good Morning to you too." Now, I was reveling in this moment thinking that our conversation was over.  As I had barely passed him and he then lets out a, "How are you doing?" Well, who can't answer that? Looking back, not paying attention to what my feet were doing, I said, "Great." With that, I lost my footing and my left big toe cracked. By this time, Bob was gone, but the pain was not.

I ended up stopping and walking home. My pain was intense for the first couple of blocks, but now it is just hurting when I contract it. I am going to try to squeeze in a visit to the podiatrist today if all possible. I think it is nothing, but if it is something I need to get it fixed so I can be all better for the marathon. Bob, if you are reading this, next time let me know that you actually want have a conversation with me we'll do lunch, my treat!! There is no need to go hurting my toes before the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment