This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sister, Sister...

Blame it on my Roman Catholic upbringing or my love for Hollywood nun heroines such as Whoppie Goldberg in Sister Act or Sally Field in the Flying Nun, but I love nuns.  I'm not sure exactly how this happened, but what I can tell you is that have my own Rolodex filled with my personal favorite sisters.  I do know one thing though, stocking up on nuns is never a bad thing.  Not only do they provide enriching friendships and a lot of laughs, but God doesn't normally ignore their calls and put them straight through to voice mail.  At one point or another, we all need a way direct line to get through, right?

I can also tell you that when you have nuns in your life, there is never a dull moment.  I never walk away from talking to one of my nuns (yes, that's right I did say MY nuns) without some kind of story.  The amount of tears, laughter, and, at times, mutual commiseration I've shared with the ladies of the cloth could be a good start to a best selling book.  So I couldn't miss the opportunity when I was summoned today for a phone call with two of my favorite Sisters of St. Joseph- Sr. Suzanne and Sr. Theresa.

As we talked and shared our latest news, I could feel the love through the phone lines.  We were able to pick up exactly from the last time we talked.  It is very comforting to know that I have people in my life who care about me unconditionally.

I realized after I hung up the phone that I am so lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life.  Coming to a realization like this creates 'the permagrin scenario', where you just can't wipe the smile off your face.  So whether you are part of my inner nun posse, my friend, family member, or someone I've never personally met, who just really likes reading my blog, I appreciate you.  I hope that some day (if I haven't already) I can bring a smile to your face like you have to mine.  Thanks so much for reading and happy rest of the weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment