This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Monday, November 8, 2010

Breathe, just breathe...

So if you know me at all, you will know that flying is probably one of my least favorite things in the world.  Everytime I have to fly, not does it invoke a horrible feeling in my gut, but it really is traumatic.  Strangely enough, my sister has similar issues.  Don't ask me why or how my mother was a flight attendant for years up until I was born?   I guess some things will just remain a mystery.

However, this weekend I took off for a long weekend in South Beach to spend some quality time with my sister.  As I was getting ready for my flight, I noticed that one crucial item was missing...my anxiety pills that tend to just help to take the edge off.  Crap! Out of all things to be destroyed during the moving accident, why these?  I only take them on rare occasions, but they are life savers. 

As I approached my gate at Newark airport, I sat down at the bar and went to fall back number two: a glass of wine.  When the bartender came over and asked whether I would like a large or small glass, I told her that I hated to fly and asked her what she suggested?  A large glass it was.  I don't know what it is, but wine just seems to make the world seem like a better place.  As I finished my glass, I started to feel that I could handle it.

I boarded my flight and it was looking like I would have the whole row to myself.  Then right before the seat belt sign came on a man asked if he could sit at the window seat.  Sure, what did I care?  He sat down and started to talk with me.  I learned that he was flying to Columbia to adopt an 11 year old child name Jose.  As we questioned each other about our careers, I learned something crucial.  He was a breathing coach.  Holy crap, this one was a match made in heaven.  As we took off, I told him that I wasn't a great flyer and he said, "You just need to exhale a little more."

So I did.  Did it help?  Yes, it did.  So next time you are in a panic about something, don't forget to exhale.  As for now, I am going to have to sign off as the South Beach rays are calling my name.  Ta ta for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment