This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Yesterday's Speed Workout That Almost Killed Me...

So for those of you who have followed me for a while, you know that I am an "un"runner type runner.  For those of you who are newcomers, what I mean by this is that I was not made to be a runner.  Growing up, I was always the slightly overweight kid who got picked last in gym class.  In high school, I could barely run the mile.  Who would have known some ten plus (notice- I'm not emphasizing on the plus) years later, I would be running marathons?  Definitely not me!

Running is always a challenge for me, but the difference now is that I welcome the challenge.  Notice, I didn't say I like the challenge, I just welcome it.  Because I was not born to run like my sister or my friend Jess, I think I lose my stamina a lot quicker.  Even though I just did a 10K a couple of weeks ago, when I laced up my running shoes yesterday and got out there, it felt like I hadn't been running in forever.

Instead of taking it easy, which is what most would have done, I decided that today I was going to take my new running shoes for a speed run.  I got to the Ridgewood Duck Pond and I was all ready to race, but I forgot one crucial thing, my watch!  Because I couldn't really judge my pace all that well, I decided to keep tempo with an in shape college-aged guy who was out in front of me.  To be honest, I have no idea how fast I went; however, for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was going to throw up after I was done.  The crazy thing was that I only did 3 miles. 

The moral of this story is that I don't know if I am just that out-of-shape or chasing this guy just made me go that much faster?  I do know one thing though, now I understand why my mom always taught me not to chase a guy.  ;p 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't ran in two months. Sometimes I feel the urge to just go a mile or two out of curiosity, but my legs and back would probably punish me for it. I enjoyed running though for the short time I did it thanks to your support. Maybe someday I'll become a little obsessed about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Michael!! Maybe someday we can train and do a race together. I would love that. I miss you and Rich. I think it is time you moved East!!

    ReplyDelete