This blog was conceptualized and launched during jury duty. Who says nothing good comes out of public service?

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Running on the run...

So, you all haven't heard from me in a while because this time of year gets very busy.  Last year when Swine Flu shout us down the week of our Mother's Day event, I was given a false sense of calm in the month of May.  This year, we just got done with Mother's Day and in addition to wrapping up this event with evaluations, our first Father's Day event is less than two weeks away.  Ah, no rest for the weary.

One comment that many of you have said over and over again is that you would love to take up running, but have no time.  I am hear to tell you that this is no longer an excuse...

I arrived to Folsom, CA on Friday to visit my friend and running mentor Jessica.  In addition to us being incredibly excited to catch up, Jess couldn't wait for us to run together.  Me, on the other hand, probably could wait on this as Jess is a speed demon and she runs 7 min splits.  However, I realized on my way up that this was going to be a little different than expected.  Jess had organized a group of "Running Girls" to get together on Saturday morning.  Everyone was all different paces, but had one thing in common, they were all hooked into running by Jess!  This was no surprise to me as Jess does have her way about convincing people of all shapes and sizes that they are runners, they just don't know it yet.

As I ran with Anna and April, we exchanged similar stories about how we got started with some assistance from Jess.  About half way through our run Anna said, "Wait are you Jess's friend that has the blog?  I love that blog."  I realized then that I had gone from running mentee to a running mentor.

I want to thank Jess and the Running Girls for including me.  It was a great time and it really brought me back to believing that the beauty of running is that the only thing that holds you back from doing it is yourself.  No matter where you are or what you are doing, you can always just put on your shoes and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment